Thursday, May 22, 2008

Phoenix


I hate Phoenix.

When I lived in the Bay Area, we would always refer to LA as the "Natural Resource Black Hole," as we watched our trees and water trickle down Highway 5. It seemed a shame that most people around us consciously conserved resources, while LA just consumes them.

So, I suppose it's just the same sibling rivalry? Two close cities. One is liberal and more environmentally concerned, while the other is more conservative and wants to develop.

Okay, so our natural rivers no longer run. Yet, many communities in Phoenix are next to man made lakes.

I dunno?

Anyway.... here's the point. I went to visit a close friend in one of Phoenix's many (many, many...) suburbs. It was great, I loved seeing my friend, and hanging out by the pool, and all that. But every time I go there I leave pissed off.

I hate all these "Master Communities." All these developers ripping out the natural desert, the farms, the ranches, ...the history! Just to put in the "imaginary paradises" for rich white retirees. If you want to live somewhere where there are lush green fields, why move to the desert?!!!

Okay, and being the tree hugger I am, I had to note on how many native plants I saw here... virtually none!

I know, maybe I'm naive. But, really. Why do we as humans feel the need to conquer nature? Why do we have to put in imaginary paradises in places where they sould not be. If you don't love the natural beauty of the desert, why the fuck move here?????

Does anyone understand about coevolution, and why native plants are so important?

Alright. I'm ranting. I know. I just get mad about all the developments ripping out all the natural landscape. I think it's sad, cause once it's gone... it's ain't coming back, ...ever, ever. Phoenix is even worse than LA, in the way they suck up natural resources as if they are commodities. I sit here trying to conserve. Volunteering hours every week just to tend to some little plot of land at my kids school. Just in hopes of preserving a small bit of nature and teaching kids how cool the desert is.

Is it even worth it?

Why preserve when others just gulp it all down??

Damn that supid Phoenix!!!



July 2, 2006

No comments: