Thursday, May 22, 2008

Dia de San Juan


Here is Tucson, water is scared. Obviously, cause we live in the desert, right?! So, Dia de San Juan is an old traditional celebration here that is suppose to mark the first day of the monsoon season. It's actually on June 24th. St. John the Baptist is the patron saint of water, and it's a tribute to him. Since Tucson has such a huge Mexican influence (we were part of Mexico until not that long ago, really,) they still have celebrations here for it. From what I hear anyone whose name was Juan, or John, or Joan or anything near that was serenaded my musicians. Then there was a big fiesta, etc. Also , from what I understand it was a bad sign whenever the monsoon season started before the 24th. I'm just saying this cause we had our first monsoon today. Bad omen to the Catholics, but man it rocked!!!!

I LOVE the monsoons!!!!!!



June 21, 2008

No comments: