Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tuna Margaritas

Doesn't that sound delish?!
No??
I suppose I could also refer to them as prickly pear margaritas, but what is the fun in that?!

This was actually an experiment aimed at Ari's classroom The Shooting Stars.
No, I did not mean to get them all drunk.
Yes, I know that is illegal.

My goal was to figure out how to make juice from the prickly pear fruits (tunas,) so that next time they are in season we could harvest them and make juice with the kids.

Since all the original tunas at the school disappeared, the wonderful Rebecca lent me some of hers.

So here is how you make tuna margaritas (....or tuna lemonaid for the kiddos.)


1) Pick tunas CAREFULLY, they have tiny spines in them called glochids that are a female dog to get out! I used BBQ tongs from the dollar store.
Make sure when you pick them off that they red at the base, that means they are ripe!

2) Boil the tunas. This gets all the prickers off, and softens them up.



3) Peel the tunas and then boil them again. Add sugar and lemon to taste.


4) Strain out the seeds. This also strains out any missed prickers! Muy importante.
The leftover is your juice. You can add this to lemonaid, sparkling water, or ta-kill-ya.


for the kids I added sparkling water and more lemon.


Teagan loved it, but Ari hated it. Ari still felt the need to smile for the camera.


Mine went into a margarita, and it really was delicious!!!


Cheers!

1 comment:

Rebecca @ Mom-a-Tron said...

I'm so gonna do this - and link your tuna-torial to my blog.