Thursday, September 11, 2008

Chillin' with my peeps

The fab Tamale, one of the many amazing teachers at Borton, received a grant to build an edible garden and chicken coop at the school this year. I like to think it was because of my amazing letter of support, but Rebecca keeps reminding me that it was hers. Either way, she got the grant!
And although I have no kids in her class this year I often loiter in front pretending. I believe Rebecca and I were even asked once by another parent to loiter more often, just to share stories of BELL. Although I tease Tamale about her "stupid happy new parents," I'm always happy for all her projects. She's amazing.
And completely unrelated she was on the news Tuesday night for some other grant she got to teach kids that aren't mine important things. No really, I am happy for them, I am.


Speaking of chicken coops... (?)
I suckered, um I mean convinced, Tamale into letting me pick out her chickens for her.
I actually offered to donate the chickens as long as I picked them out and kept them at my house until their coop was built.
HA! Take that!
Wait.... who was the winner in that situation?
But these peeps were ADORABLE! On Monday they turned two weeks, now they are "pullets."
I brought them into Tamale's class last week and I'm bringing them again today.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


I put a stick through their cage, and now they all roost at night.
Photobucket

So far their are 8 pullets.
1 buff orpinton
1 rhode island red
2 americanas
1 polish
1 giant cochin

2 are bantums
1 is a polish and 1 might be an americanas?

The bantum americanas is so tiny my husband keeps insisting that it's really just a sparrow the flew into the chicken's cage before I bought them. Ari seems to think she not a sparrrow at all but a hummingbird.
Photobucket

But the coolest by far is the polish banty.
This poor chicken only has a month or two before the feathers on her head grow so big that she can hardly see.
Photobucket

Aaaw.

1 comment:

Rebecca @ Mom-a-Tron said...

Stupid happy bicycle parents.

And, oh, if Don goes to Mexico and Jesse actually finds a job, we will never be stupid happy bicycle parents. Suckity.